About Me

My photo
Daughter, sister, wife, mother, friend. Living each day to the fullest. I know God has a plan for me, if I could just see it all through His eyes.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day Breakfast for all the boys I LOVE

As of Friday night, I still had not decided exactly what to do for my guys for Valentine's Day. Two years ago, I got a babysitter for the boys and I made a very romantic dinner for Mike. He had no idea I had anything planned. I whisked the kids over to a friend's house just to get home a few minutes ahead of Mike and get the finishing touches on our candle light dinner of beef tenderloin and shrimp all set out on a table decked with a red tablecloth covered with a white crocheted tablecloth. It was very pretty. We finished dinner off with my homemade Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake. To. Die. For. Yum.
Then, while the kiddos where away, I wanted to play and Mike decided we'd go to Walmart! Ugh.
Last year was Mike's turn to surprise me.
He invited me out to a seafood lunch at a little diner called Joey's (not to be confused with Joey's Crab Shack--but just as good!) in downtown Houghton. That wasn't the surprise. The surprise was that he got me flowers and chocolates and had them all waiting for me at the table, ensconsed in one of the storefront windows. It was very nice!
So. Earlier this past week, I bought some candy and a small stuffed animal for each of the boys (stuffed animals at V-day and Easter seems to be a tradition).
But Saturday was still a mystery to me. The boys and I were going to a Church Dedication service in Hancock later that afternoon so it wasn't like I could do anything special for Mike. It had to be a family affair.
What do you do at 8am? Cook breakfast.
I had almost decided on oatmeal or bagels the night before. But as I rolled out of bed Saturday morning I decided a special breakfast was in store.
My husband loves crepes. Mikey loves crepes and can even cook them! So crepes it was!!
This is the recipe we use:
4 eggs
1 1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
In medium bowl, slightly beat eggs then add all other ingredients. Beat until smooth.
Heat crepe pan over med-high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
Pour 1/2 cup batter into hot pan, immediately tilting pan until batter covers bottom of pan. Cook until edges start to dry and center is set. Turn to brown other side.
We have our crepes!
Now we fill them:
3 tbsp small curd cottage cheese
3 tbsp sliced strawberries in syrup
(I thickened my syrup by heating it in microwave until boiling, then adding a tbsp cornstarch and heating again til thick)
Roll crepes, sprinkle with powdered sugar, red decorating sugar and draw a heart with chocolate syrup
Ta da!


They were an absolute hit!
PS. You can make smaller crepes by using 1/4 cup batter and putting less filling in each one. My boys are big eaters!

2 comments:

Kimberli said...

how fun! I might have to try that recipe. sounds (and looks) good!

MyKidsMom said...

These sound delicious, and look so pretty. Very impressive. Love those valentine bags.