About Me

My photo
Daughter, sister, wife, mother, friend. Living each day to the fullest. I know God has a plan for me, if I could just see it all through His eyes.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Shaiton's Fire and Hosea

What??

Yeah, I just finished 2 books. I'm still trying to read, um....I think I have 3 others going. They are NOT fiction. One is a book about difficult children. Fun. The other is about Jesus. Interesting. But I don't devour books like that. Now, fiction on the other hand....especially if it is a really GOOD story, I can rip right through. As I did with
Shaiton's Fire by Jake Thoene.

Following a vicious attack in San Francisco, the FBI's new domestic counterterrorism unit, Chapter 16, races to capture the perpetrators. Special Agent Steve Alstead faces a crisis in his family and his faith, but as he pursues the suspected terrorists, he discovers a more sinister peril that threatens the security of countless lives...and America itself.
-synopsis from Shaiton's Fire
I especially like stories that are realistic and have lots of action and suspense. This fit the bill. Plus, you throw in the fact that all the good-guys have a healthy belief in God and it's the making of a dynamic read. The bad guys are an Al-Quaeda splinter group....that should give you chills.
I finished it much too quick, but the good new is that there are two more books in the series. I'm now reading Firefly Blue. It's a slower start than Shaiton's Fire but the characters being introduced have me hooked!
This morning I finished the book of Hosea. I'm trying to read the Bible through-again. I think the first time I read the Bible completely through, I was a teenager and I'm sure I retained about 13% of what I read. I've read it COMPLETELY through at least once as an adult. My brain tends to turn to mush somewhere in the middle of Jeremiah and I get stuck. I can handle the repetition of Numbers and Chronicles. I just can't get a grasp on all the prophets. So, I figured I'd start in the prophets and see how I go from there. Daniel was pretty easy. Hosea has been interesting. Here are my favorite verses:
Hosea 6:1-3
Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up. After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight. Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.
Hosea 10:12
Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the Lord, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.
Hosea 13:9
O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself; but in me is thine help.
Hosea 14:4
I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.
Tomorrow I dive into Joel.
Tomorrow I don't work. Perhaps I'll have a chance to catch you up on my life this past month. It's been a whirlwind!
Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

BlueCastle said...

Hosea was quite a man, wasn't he? It's amazing to me how obedient he was to God. Having his life used as an object lesson could not have been easy.

Beautiful verses, though.